Saturday, November 5, 2011

Tulsa-Bound!

I don't remember how many tests I had while I lived in St. Louis.  But Dr. Clouse said the same thing, "You are just at a stressful time in your life."  And that was how my increasing pain was left.  Wait until you don't have anymore stress and let's see how you feel.  After 3 years of graduate school, it was still there!

I left St. Louis bound for my final internship at a hospital in Tulsa.  I am from a small town north of Tulsa, so Tulsa was our go-to town.  I was moving home.  In fact, I really was moving back in with my mom and dad for three months while I completed my last internship.  I had plans in the back of my mind of finishing this up and moving back to Texas, Dallas or Ft. Worth maybe.  Soon, I thought, I would be back in God's country.  Again, in those three months, I don't have distinct memories of major stomach troubles or pain that are worth mentioning.  I am sure I had pain, as I remember trying to find a new gastroenterologist in yet another new town.  My mom  ripped a page from the city magazine that had the peer reviewed "Tulsa's Top Docs."  With nothing else to go on, I called a Dr. Peter Aran and asked to be seen.  I didn't know what an incredible doctor I was seeing and that the future with me and Dr. Aran would produce a wonderful doctor-patient relationship. 

My 3-month internship turned into a job opportunity that I didn't turn down.  I knew my health was volatile and I knew I should probably stick closer to home.  I loved where I worked and by the time the offer came around, I was thrilled to take the job.  I was finally employed!  I moved to Tulsa almost immediately and moved in with a dear friend from high school in a wonderful old condo.  We were all set to have loads of fun.

This was the time that I really remember my health getting bad. The pain was more frequent and more intense and my quality of life was certainly on the decline.  Praise the Lord I stayed in Tulsa.  My sister and her family were close, Mom and Dad were just an hour away.  At a time in my life when I was supposed to be striking out on my own and being independent, I really needed my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment